Sign up for our newsletter


Nacer Bouhanni sprints to victory on stage two of the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire

Jack Elton-Walters
29 Apr 2017

Nacer Bouhanni was in a league of his own on the drag up to the line on stage two of the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire

Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis) won stage two of the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire from a frenetic bunch sprint up the drag into the centre of Harrogate.

The sprinter was untouchable in the closing metres of the race as he followed an early sprint from a Direct Energie rider.

He left his rivals in his wake as he passed the early sprinter and took the win with ease.

Caleb Ewan (Orica-Scott) was again second, a repeat of stage one, after he was distanced as a result of being swamped in the closing stages.

However, the result was enough to move him into the race lead as overnight leader Dylan Groenewegen (LottoNL-Jumbo) finished outside of the finish line bonuses.

A busy day saw a break go away, but the real excitement started when that group was caught and attack after attack went up the road and each was brought back.

Stage two, 2017 Tour de Yorkshire: How it happened

The race followed a fairly formulaic pattern with a breakaway going up the road and sweeping up the majority of the climbing and sprint points, while the peloton managed the gap and then brought them back in time for a sprint. 

The four men to go away were James Gullen (JLT Condor), Connor Swift (Madison Genesis), Sebastián Mora (Raleigh GAC) and Harry Tanfield (Bike Channel-Canyon), and their maximum advantage was over three minutes.

Thomas Voeckler (Direct Energie) led a move that bridged to the original four-man break with 21km left to the finish, and his move inspired a number of other riders to join him and to later fly off the front of a fairly non plussed peloton.

Ian Stannard (Team Sky) was one of those to ping off the front as moved went and came back, on-and-off over the rolling roads leading to Harrogate.

When things settled down a bit, and as the riders went through the 10km to go point, a new break of four was away for a short while.

They looked to be motivated but when the gap to the peloton tumbled the riders appeared to have resigned themselves to being caught until they started to attack and counter-attack in sight of the peloton.

Such moves didn't work and it was all back together, temporarily, with 7.6km to run. The lull didn't last and off went yet more attacks.

When the roads widened and levelled out with just under 5km left the race, the teams began to organise instead of the expected sprint finish.

Read more about: