Sign up for our newsletter


Trek-Segafredo DS Steven De Jongh released from hospital after going missing during ride

Joe Robinson
16 Oct 2018

De Jongh found thanks to fire department and twitter having gone missing during his ride; since released from hospital and told to rest

Trek-Segafredo sports director Steven de Jongh was found following temporarily going missing on Monday near his Girona home. The Dutchman was located after having crashed his bike on a training ride and has thankfully sustained no major injuries other than a concussion.

De Jongh was released from hospital in Girona earlier on Tuesday under the instructions to further his rest and recovery at home, with the Trek team commenting that De Jongh is 'still very much affected by what happened and is overwhelmed by all your kind messages and support.'

The alarm was originally sounded when De Jongh's wife, Renee, posted a message to her Twitter page asking for assistance in the search for he husband.

De Jongh had left home for a bike ride around 10:30am and was yet to have returned or contacted Renee by the afternoon.

Renee's tweet was then picked up by a wave of cycling journalists, professionals and former professionals who furthered the call to help find 44-year-old. 

While the local Catalunyian emergency services launched a search and rescue operation for the then-missing person, the cycling internet world banded together to create their own spectacular investigation.

Strava Flyby

Using popular GPS app Strava, individuals were able to track De Jongh's last known whereabouts on his ride before going missing.

They found that the GPS signal had ended abruptly just before a well-used descent close to the La Ganga area.

Flyby not only helped locate De Jongh's last know location but it also picked out a fellow rider who was seen to be in the same location at around the same time. Strava and Twitter users tried to locate this rider, although this proved not necessary.

Strava eventually helped guide the searching helicopter which then found De Jongh, unconscious, at the bottom of a ravine but thankfully breathing and with a pulse.

De Jongh was brought back to consciousness at the scene by paramedics before being transferred to a local hospital in the nearby city of Girona where further examinations showed him to have suffered a severe concussion.

Trek-Segafredo released a short comment from De Jongh stating that 'everything hurts right now' but that he is thankful for no broken bones.

How and why the accident happened remain unclear and a subsequent police investigation will look into the incident although local reports have suggested De Jongh could have been the victim of a hit and run.

Many commented on the effort of the cycling community to help find De Jongh including fellow Dutchman and current LottoNL-Jumbo rider, Robert Gesink, who tweeted his thanks to Strava and the police and fire departments of Catalunya.

De Jongh remained under observation in the hospital before being released earlier today and like the rest of the cycling community, Cyclist wishes De Jongh a speedy recovery.

Read more about: